View Our practice areas

What people should know about the Mississippi ombudsman program

Like other states across the nation, Mississippi has its own laws regarding long-term care ombudsman programs in addition to the requirements of federal law. An ombudsman is a representative and advocate for residents in facilities providing various levels of care for seniors and the elderly.

All the following types of facilities require licensure and regulation from the State Department of Health and are included in the ombudsman program:

  • Extended care homes
  • Skilled nursing facilities
  • Intermediate care facilities
  • Boarding homes
  • Personal care homes

Anyone who is a resident or who sponsors a resident may contact the ombudsman or make use of the services of the representative.

What services does an ombudsman provide?

People can let ombudsmen know about issues by filing a complaint about a problem or potential problem in a facility. A resident suffering from neglect may contact an ombudsman and inform him or her of the matter. After a thorough investigation, the representative will take action to correct the injustice. Family members or friends of the resident, or even staff at the facility, may also make a report. 

Ombudsmen do not wait for complaints before seeking to improve living conditions for residents. One of the primary functions of the program is to raise awareness of issues before state, local, municipal and federal government agencies. For example, an ombudsman may speak to state lawmakers about the need for revisions to the current law, or the need to draft a new law, regarding the welfare of residents of long-term care facilities.

Community involvement is another key to awareness. Ombudsmen provide public forums such as conferences, workshops and public hearings to gather information about the needs of residents and direct attention to the issues.

Data and statistics are vital in highlighting systemic problems in facilities. When possible, ombudsmen present these to state and local agencies for correction; they must also make reports to the U.S. Assistant Secretary for Aging.

Anyone who suspects elder abuse or neglect should not hesitate to report the issue to the appropriate ombudsman for investigation. However, witnesses of abuse or dangerous conditions should immediately contact local authorities to prevent further harm to residents.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Need Help? Contact Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email us for response

Office Location

Jackson Office
129B South President Street
Jackson, MS 39201

Toll Free: 800-558-4208
Phone: 601-208-0343
Fax: 601-949-3358
Jackson Law Office Map

Little Rock Office
400 West Capitol Avenue
Suite 1700
Little Rock, AR 72201

Phone: 501-242-8245
Map & Directions

Los Angeles Office
Century Plaza Towers
2029 Century Park East
Suite 400N
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Phone: 424-281-2044
Map & Directions