View Our practice areas

If you suspect nursing home abuse, do these 4 things

Few decisions are more heart-wrenching than choosing to place an aging parent in a nursing home. Still, often a long-term care facility is the best option. If your mother or father lives in a nursing home, you want to be certain she or he receives top-notch care. 

Unfortunately, not all healthcare providers offer an exceptional level of care to aging patients. Sometimes, neglect turns into abuse. If you suspect your elderly parent is the victim of nursing home abuse, you must act quickly to protect your loved one and assert your legal rights. Here are four things you should do. 

1. Watch for signs of abuse 

It may surprise you to know that nursing home abuse is not always easy to detect. On the contrary, your aging parent may not be able to tell you about her or his experiences in the nursing home. Thus, you must watch for signs of abuse. If you see any, take photographs and document the incident. With a bit of effort, you can likely discover whether your parent is receiving adequate care. 

2. Report your findings 

Nursing homes typically have procedures they follow to investigate and stop abuse. Therefore, if you think your loved one has become the victim of elder abuse, you must report your findings to the facility‚Äôs administrator. Of course, if you believe your parent is in imminent danger, you may want to remove her or him from the facility immediately. 

3. Complain to state regulators 

If the nursing home administrator is unwilling to address your concerns, you may need to escalate your complaint to state regulators. The Mississippi Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification has an ombudsman who can help investigate the matter. 

4. Demand action 

Your aging parent may not be able to advocate for his or her best interests. Just as your mother or father took care of you when you were young, you may need to demand action on her or his behalf. Remember, care providers are likely to be on their best behavior when you are around. As such, try to be as present as possible. Schedule regular care meetings and ask for follow-up reports. 

No one wants to think about placing an aging parent in a nursing home. Still, for many families, long-term care facilities offer the best possible care. If you think your parent is not receiving adequate care, though, you must work diligently to protect your mother's or father's interests. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Need Help? Contact Our Firm Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email us for response

Office Location

Jackson Office
129B South President Street
Jackson, MS 39201

Toll Free: 800-558-4208
Phone: 601-208-0343
Fax: 601-949-3358
Jackson Law Office Map

Little Rock Office
400 West Capitol Avenue
Suite 1700
Little Rock, AR 72201

Phone: 501-242-8245
Map & Directions

Los Angeles Office
Century Plaza Towers
2029 Century Park East
Suite 400N
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Phone: 424-281-2044
Map & Directions